Director of Sports
SPECIAL OLYMPICS NORTH DAKOTA
Effective Date: January 4, 2021 or Open until filled
Reports to: President/CEO
Salary Range: DOE/Competitive
The Director of Sports is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing a year-round training and competition program that meets the guidelines and rules of Special Olympics Inc. (SOI) and Special Olympics North Dakota (SOND). Provide technical assistance and uniform direction to local programs in athlete training, coaches and officials’ education, health and fitness, and competition management and administration. Expand and improve existing programs and structures through a volunteer management system designed to increase, track and train volunteers to manage the sports aspects of SOND.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Physical Education, Sports Management and/or Recreation
- 2-3 years relevant experience preferred in sport management and/or education
- Sports experienced or knowledgeable. Physical fitness/education knowledge preferred.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills with demonstrated experience
- Excellent verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work independently
- Working knowledge of Windows-based products and web applications; general knowledge of data base objectives; social media, and the ability to learn and exercise online training tools.
- Event planning and management experience preferred
- Ability to work as a team member while independently carrying out objectives
- Ability to lead volunteer committees, organize and plan events either in person or virtually
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Budget management and strategic planning ideal
- Negotiation skills and ability to work with diverse populations in public and private sector ideal
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and must pass necessary background check
- Willingness to travel extensively by vehicle statewide, and willing to work evenings and weekends as position demands
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and resourceful
- Develop, coordinate and supervise all state level sport competitions, along with area and local training and competition programs
- Grows the Unified Sports® program
- Manage and grow the coaches education program
- Organize volunteer-driven sport committees to support competitions at state and local levels
- Assist in the development of school based programs for health and fitness as well as training and competition
- Coordinate statewide and local health and fitness programs to include but not limited to in person and virtual programs
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive in North Dakota and commensurate with experience and qualifications for opportunity for potential incentive. Benefits include health and dental insurance; retirement plan; paid holidays; vacation and sick leave package.
The Director of Sports will work from the Special Olympics North Dakota headquarters in Grand Forks, ND
Immediately and no later than November 21, 2020. Position remains open until a qualified candidate is selected. Preferred application method: Letter of application, resume and salary requirements to:
Web: Click this link to fill out an application online.
Mail: SOND, 2616 South 26th Street, Grand Forks ND 58201
Click below to download:
ABOUT SPECIAL OLYMPICS NORTH DAKOTA
Special Olympics North Dakota is a private, non-profit organization that provides year-round physical fitness, sports training, and competition in 15 sports to children and adults with intellectual disabilities. All activities are provided free of charge to the participants and their families. More than 1,600 athletes, 4,500 volunteers, and 330 coaches participate throughout the state of North Dakota. For more information visit: www.specialolympicsnd.org