The Flame of Hope
Year round, more than 300 LETR volunteers, including law enforcement officers from local, county, state and federal agencies across North Dakota promote the concept of partnership and prosperity as guardians for the Flame of Hope. This Flame of Hope ignites the hope and brightens the lives of the more than 1,600 children and adults with intellectual disabilities that participate in Special Olympics North Dakota (SOND). The torch carried across the North Dakota in May by law enforcement runners is a demonstration of their guardianship, and raises awareness of Special Olympics and the achievements of our champions. Members of law enforcement involved in the Torch Run are also called Guardians of the Flame.
The Torch Run consists of a series of local runs that take place across the state during the week preceding the SOND State Summer Games. Six runs will be held before the event culminates with the arrival of the torch at the State Summer Games Opening Ceremony.
Supporting the LETR shows the community that you support our law enforcement heroes and care about our friends and neighbors who participate in Special Olympics.
2023 Torch Run Information -
Torch Runs: June 5-9, 2023
Final Leg: June 10, 2023 (West Fargo, ND)
To register for your local Torch Run, simply fill out the following form or reach out to one of the contacts below. Note: To participate in a local Torch Run, participants must sign a waiver and wear this year’s shirt.
Torch Run Contacts
- June 8th, Capital Building - 2:30pm
- Jennifer Rewald, Burleigh Morton Co. Detention Center
- Fargo/West Fargo (Final Leg)
- June 6th, Scheels Arena - 4:00pm
- Officer Dora Roll, West Fargo Police Department
- Grand Forks
- June 7th, NDHP Office - 7:00am
- Chris Smith, Grand Forks County Sheriff's Office
- Travis Nelson, North Dakota Highway Patrol
- Jamestown to Valley City
- June 16th, Bloom Exit (MM 262) - 8:00am
- Jeff Lorenz, James River Correctional Center
- June 9th, The Auditorium - 10:30am
- Jacob Olson, Minot Police Department
- June 9th, Pembina State Park - 9:00am
- Christopher Smith, United States CBP
- June 9th, Williams Co. LE Center - 10:00am
- Calli Stellmacher, Williston Police Department